Monday, December 04, 2006

A Great Find!

I was purusing the supermarket isle on the weekend when this pack of Dutch Syrup Wafers jumped out at me. It was hidden among the jellies, puddings and the canned fruit section...not the biscuits section for some unknown reason! I used to enjoy these special treats with my dear friend Katrina on Sunday afternoons in Hong Kong. She knew somebody who would bring these wafers to HK whenever he was in our neighbourhood. For years, Katrina and I would spend EVERY Sunday afternoon together...drinking endless cups of tea, chatting, either sitting on a beach or at one of our homes, scrapping, card making and lots more chatting over cups of tea. Our boys have know each other since they were two years old....when Katrina moved to HK. The boys NEVER got along until they turned 4...then they became the best of buddies. We loved watching the 2 of them while they played. It was very hard to say good-bye to these dear friends and I must say now, on our Sunday afternoons, Christopher and I are a bit "lost" without them. snifff....snifff....
Ok....enough.....back to the wafers....for those who have never seen or tried these, Ill show you how its done!
The first photo is a package of them. 2nd - You place the wafer on top of a HOT cup of tea...I've found brewed coffee is not hot enough. Let it sit for a few minutes, turning it over when it starts to soften. The softening proces is the syrup melting and you can see in the 3rd photo the glistening syrup which oooozes out of the wafer while you eat it.....YUMMY!!! Stop round my home and you can try these as I'll have to keep a stock of them in my cupboards from now on. Cheers Katrina! Miss you my friend!

4 comments:

KMP said...

Ah Katie, you have me sitting here in tears reading that post. Thanks so much for leaving the comment on my blog - I didn't have your email address and wasn't sure how to contact you and I couldn't believe it tonight when I was looking through the comments and I saw your name.

We miss you terribly. There is so much of my new life in South Africa that I would love to show you - you would LOVE the garden and the house. And I have a super couch for you to sit on so we can listen to CD's, have some hot chocolate and catch up on all the news.

A big hug to the gorgeous Christopher - please tell him he would be in heaven with our menagerie of 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 horses. He would be able to ride Joel's pony too as it is absolutely bomb proof.

Take special care my friend. We think of you every day. K

Katie said...

SOOOOOO good to hear from you! Wish I could jump on a flight to South Africa right now and see your amazing garden, animals and new home. (Hope Spring fully recovers soon...how horrible for you both!) CJ loved the pics of Joel as a mouse! Maybe we can meet up sometime in 2007 while you're visiting Australia....we'll drive to wherever you are! Loads of hugs to you both! Kt

Scrap Junkie said...

Mmmmm, inspired idea my dear Katie! I am going to have to try those biscuits and that technique before New Year's Day!
So many temptations so little time!#$!

Katie said...

Bring Grace over and we'll have some. They are more yummy when shared with friends! :-)