Monday, December 31, 2007

The Humble Doorknob

Recently my parents home was broken into while they were away overseas. The person responsible for this also broke into several other homes in their suburb on same day. All the breaks ins were linked to this one guy as his "signature" was to take the doorknob. (Idiot!)
Anyway, my brother in law took on the job to secure the house once again by replacing the doorknob. The following paragraph is part of the email he sent to my parents regarding this matter :
"what price range are you looking for? The doorknob I bought today was $48. Do you want me to just by a cheap $25 knob, lock the front screen door and have the girls (meaning myself and my sister) access the house through the laundry room from now on and when you return from your sojourn, you can choose a lock set that represents you as a couple. Speaking for myself, I don't think I could let someone choose a door knob for me. It is the first thing someone touches when they enter your house. It really makes a strong impression. It can say "hi, I am brassy and happy" or "I am rustic with a antique patina" or "I am ultra-modern and minimalist, respect my simplicity." you get my point."

I choked on my breakfast at this point. So now when I go to someones house, I have a second look at their doorknob and think about what it might be saying to me!

4 comments:

Sam said...

What a cack! Thanks for making me laugh Katie.

Sam.

Katie said...

Hi Sam....it was very funny at the time....my parents appreciated the lighter side of the situation too.

Debbie said...

Thanks for a good laugh Katie, got a laugh out of the post about men too. :D

KMP said...

crikey - what does it mean that my door knob on front door is cracked and hanging by a few rusty nails and the back doorone has disappeared altogether !!!!!!!!!!