Friday, August 17, 2007

Hi From Hong Kong

Christopher and I landed in Hong Kong VERY EARLY the other morning, in the darkness and pouring rain. The blast of humidity upon leaving the airport has rendered my hair unmanageable....something I got used to in the 10 years of living here. Bad hair days are the norm in this part of the world.

I have been away for 18 months yet it feels like I never left. I'm seeing old friends everywhere I go. I'm so looking forward to catching up with the wonderful group I worked with at Island Health (miss you Liz!), and the amazing bunch of scrappers who have attended all the classes I taught while living here. There is one friend that is missing from this picture though as she doesn't live here anymore. Katrina......Its just not the same without her. I walked into the building we lived in and the strangest feeling came over me....punching in the door code, taking the elevator.....weird! Miss you my friend!

At the same time though, I'm feeling really grateful that I call Australia my home and that I have my family and so many good friends there. My sister arrives next Sunday where she and her 13 month old will stay with me at my friends Allsion's home for 2 days and then we'll all fly together up to my brother's wedding in the UK. We will be squeezing in a trip to Paris before the wedding! Mad...I know!

So many memories flood back with every sight and smell. I'm trying to look at HK through the eyes of a tourist while I'm here and trying to show Christopher the dynamics of Asia. Since he was born here and grew up here, this is all very normal to him. The millions of people surrounding us, the constant loud noise of a bustling city, the pollution, the markets etc. I find myself reminding him that these things aren't normally found in Australia. Christopher has fit back in with his friends like he never left. It will be interesting to see how he'll go on our return to Canberra.

Its so nice to be with my wonderful friend Allison again. We're staying with her and her family during our stay in HK. Christopher grew up with Matthew and Sarah, Alli & Ian's 2 kids. Alli and I have a lot to catch up on!

No comments: