Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Crocs, Corn & Cards

How often does a mother and son get to share a fashion trend? You certainly won't find me wearing my jeans so low on my hips that they'll fall off if I sneeze....or wearing a hoody that is 3 sizes too big! But Crocs are a different story. Besides the fact that they are just about the most comfortable shoe ever made....I can accessorize my crocs with anything blingy to just plain fun. Christopher adores his Cars Movie jibbitz in his shoes. And he LOVES it when we go out of the house wearing our crocs together. SO COOL!

Autumn is on its way to Canberra. The nights are much cooler and I can see the leaves showing signs of turning colour. Another sign of autumn, I'm noticing, is the cobs of corn that are available to buy in the supermarket. Not the pre-packaged, glad wrapped, husked kind. I'm talking about the real, fresh from the farmer's field, kind. Corn on the cob brings so many happy memories of childhood, such as, late summer barbeques at the family cottage, on a remote lake in Ontario Canada; driving by a farmer's barn, and being able to buy as many as a dozen for $1; sitting on the back porch ripping the husks off; butter dripping all over our plates as we eat them; peaches and cream colours; and my uncle Bruce holding the family title of fastest & cleanest eater of corn on the cob, to this day. Christopher has taken it upon himself to be the corn husker in our family. We might be eating corn often these days. I want him to grow up with good memories of the early days of autumn too.

Stampin Up is retiring many stamp sets in preparation for the new catalogue that will be in my possession soon. For the full retired list, click on this link. I held a retirement party last week and that was a lot of fun...thanks for coming ladies! Here are some pics of cards that I've made either made recently or you might recognize them from a workshop:




If you have any questions about these cards, what stamps sets, ink, paper colours I've used, please ask. I've been asked a lot how I get the ideas to make the cards. Most of the ideas come from SU Catalogues & card making magazines like Paper Crafts. What I do most is when I see a card I like, I change the stamp set or paper combination (or both) to make a new fresh card. Works especially well when I've run out of ideas and need to make something fast. And, YES, I will contact all of you as soon as I have the NEW catalogue in my hot little hands. I'll have you over for another party!

2 comments:

KMP said...

OMG!!! Everyone in South Africa wears these shoes too ! Joely and I haven't got them but I suspect we are probably the only ones who don't.

Is the corn as sweet in Aus as it was in HK? It was sooooo yummy there - we used to love it. Tell Christpher we could keep him busy on the farm - 200 hectares are under cultivation with maize so lots of husks to pull off !

Katie said...

The Crocs aren't pretty to look at....and they cost $50 AUS! BUT Christopher started getting regular leg pains when summer began, usually after he had been wearing sandals all day. I heard crocs were good for feet, so I bought him a pair and they've been wonderful.
Yes I think the corn is just as sweet and juicy as the ones we used to eat in HK...I think those ones came from the USA?? Christopher loved the idea of husking 200 hectares worth of corn...although he has NO concept of what a hectare is! I guess that comes from living in a city for most of his life.